Immunization Information

Immunization Information


In an effort to clarify some grey areas around immunization requirements, we would like to provide our families and prospective parents with some information regarding the California immunization requirements to attend school. All students that attend learning center classes must submit one of the following to the Registrar’s office, typically at the time of enrollment, to be eligible to attend classes:


    • Complete immunization record – either a copy of the student’s yellow card or a doctor’s printout. All forms submitted must clearly show the student’s name, date of birth, all dates of each dose and either the Dr.’s signature or stamp for each dose
    • Temporary/Permanent medical exemption that is in compliance with California state requirements which are discussed below.


Frequently Asked Questions


What are the current California immunization requirements for students to attend school?


Current California immunization requirements, as of July 1, 2019 (click to access PDF):


Immunization Guide for Parents


What are the requirements for a medical exemption?


A medical exemption is a letter from the student's doctor indicating that it is not medically advised that the student receive some, or all, of the required immunizations. At this time, there is not a standard state form – a letter from the doctor will suffice. Below are the requirements for a medical exemption letter:

    • Starting July 1, 2019, a parent or guardian must submit a signed, written statement from a physician (MD or DO) licensed in California which states:     
        • The specific nature of the physical condition or medical circumstance of the child for which a licensed physician does not recommend immunization.
        • Each specific required vaccine that is being exempted.
        • Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
        • If the exemption is temporary, an expiration date no more than 12 calendar months from the date of signing.

*A note on temporary medical exemptions – at the time of expiration, parents will be asked to submit documentation of all missing immunizations or an updated medical exemption. Without updated documentation, students will not be eligible to attend learning center classes.


My child had a delayed immunization schedule and is catching up on the requirements. Can they attend learning center classes while they catch up?


Yes. If a student is catching up on immunizations, they can attend learning center classes if they are as caught up as they can be based on the California state guidelines. The Registrar will work with families to evaluate if the student has received all doses that they are able to receive at this time and will let families know when the deadline to receive their next dose(s) is/are based on California state guidelines.


My child is not fully immunized and does not plan to attend learning center classes. Do we still need to submit an immunization record?


Yes. All schools are required to collect immunization records at the time of enrollment, even if they are incomplete and the student will not be attending learning center classes. Schools are often the front line of public health and safety for children and their families. If there is ever an outbreak, it is important for the school to know which students have been immunized against each illness and which students have not.


My child is a new student entering 7th grade. What are the requirements for incoming 7th graders?


All new 7th grade students must submit immunization records and meet the TK/K – 12th grade requirements. In addition, 7th grade students must have also received the Tdap booster on or after their 7th birthday.


My child is currently enrolled and will be advancing to 7th grade. What are the requirements for advancing 7th graders?


Advancing 7th grade students must provide the Registrar’s office with updated immunization records prior to the first day of school, showing that they have received both the Tdap booster as well as 2 doses of Varicella (chicken pox). If the student previously had a Personal Belief Exemption, they must also meet all of the TK/K – 12th grade requirements. The Registrar’s office will work with these families to get caught up on requirements if necessary. 


I don't have a copy of my child's immunization records - where can I get them?


The first place to seek your child's immunization records is with your child's doctor. They will be able to print you a copy of your child's immunization record. If this is not an option and your child has previously attended school elsewhere, you can request a copy of their immunization records from their previous school. Each school will have different procedures regarding requesting documents, but you should be able to get a copy of your child's immunization records if they are on file. 



California laws regarding immunizations have shifted and changed over the years and we imagine that they will continue to do so. We will do our best to keep our families updated and revise this page as new information becomes available. We appreciate you partnering with us to ensure all of our students are healthy and ready to learn!


For more information regarding California immunization requirements for school attendance, please visit: